Sometimes I have a hard time sticking to a good vitamin routine; I’m on track for a few months and then somehow it seems to get away from me. That’s when I started incorporating herbs and spices with health benefits into my recipes. I usually add a teaspoon of turmeric to my smoothies so thought, why not add it to some of my baked goods? It’s great for inflammation, helps boost your immune system and is a very strong antioxidant. These muffins come together in under 10 minutes and are the perfect grab and go breakfast.
Carrot & Turmeric Breakfast Muffins
Muffins – makes 12
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten free flour mix or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- ¾ cup of cashew milk (or dairy/non-dairy of your choice)
- 1½ cup shredded carrots
Optional crumb topping
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil and light brown sugar. Then, whisk in the room temperature eggs one at a time and maple syrup.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: almond flour, gluten free or all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and turmeric. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, alternating with the cashew milk, and mix until blended. Lastly, fold in the shredded carrots.
- Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners. Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop the batter into each tin.
- Optional crumb topping: for a little extra crunch, toss gluten free oats with cinnamon and brown sugar and then sprinkle over muffins.
- Pop the muffins in the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes.