The best thing about upside-down cakes is that you can use all different types of fruits like apples, pears, peaches, raspberries and traditional pineapples. I was walking through Union Square Greenmarket this weekend and came across these beautiful strawberries. The bright color drew me towards them and I knew I had to turn them into something delicious. This gluten free strawberry upside-down cake is luscious and perfect for summer.
Gluten Free Fresh Strawberry Upside-Down
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups of sliced strawberries
- Optional: finish with dollop of whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour (or all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup almond milk (or 1% or 2% milk)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a mixer and cream together the butter and sugar on medium to high speed until fluffy. Then add two tablespoons of vanilla exact and eggs one at a time, and mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Scrap the bowl if needed.
- Next add the salt, baking powder and flour, and mix together on medium speed until incorporated. Lastly, add the milk and mix on medium speed until the batter comes together. Set aside.
- Spray the 9-inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottle with a piece of parchment.
- For the topping, clean and chop the strawberries into thin slices (you can cut them horizontally or vertically depending on the design you want to create). Next, melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar and cook for a few minutes until the sugar melts then pour the mixture into the cake pan to evenly coat the bottom. Arrange the strawberry slices in a circle until the whole area is covered.
- Pour the cake batter over the strawberries and put in the oven. Cook for about 55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let the cake completely cool before using a dish to flip it over. Remove the parchment paper and serve. Finish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream of dollop of fresh whipped cream.