I can never get enough grapefruit – I love it in my salads, my desserts and most importantly, in my cocktails. It’s such a refreshing ingredient that brightens up any dish and provides the right amount of acidity. In need of a crunch? Roasted chickpeas are a healthier alternative to bread croutons, plus they are gluten free!
Winter Grapefruit Kale Salad with Roasted Chickpeas
Serves about 4 people
- 8 oz of curly kale (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup chickpeas (tossed with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil and roasted)
- ½ cup red currents (removed from vine) or pomegranates seeds
- 12 grapefruit supremes (pieces)
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place chickpeas on baking sheet covered with a piece of parchment paper and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil, and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper; make sure each one is evenly coated. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- Wash and dry the kale, and place in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the grapefruit juice, honey, kosher salt, and olive oil. Pour vinaigrette over kale and massage with clean hands or tongs. Place salad in serving dish.
- Arrange grapefruit supremes, red currants and chickpeas over salad. Optional: sprinkle with finishing salt.