There are three types of cookies my Mom makes every holiday season – Italian drop cookies, biscotti and pizzelles. The below is our family biscotti recipe that I’ve adjusted to make chocolate and gluten free.
These cookies are also a little softer than your average biscotti. If you want to make them a little bit crispier, cook them for a little bit longer.
Gluten Free Chocolate Dipped Biscotti – makes about 30-35 cookies
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup Cup4Cup flour, plus more for dusting (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 325º
- Cream together the vegetable oil and granulated sugar on medium to high speed. Then add in each egg one by one and vanilla extract mixing on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture little by little until everything is incorporated and it forms a ball.
- Split the dough into two pieces. Take the first piece and form it into a log. The dough might be a little sticky, so add a little flour if needed. The easiest way to do this is to hold it up in the air and pull the dough into a log-like shape. Once the dough has been stretched, place it on one side of the cookie sheet and repeat with the other piece, placing that on the other side of the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for 30-40 seconds at a time (stirring in between) until all the chocolate chips are melted.
- Dip the end of biscotti in the chocolate and decorate as desired.