The Christmas season wouldn’t be complete without gingerbread cookies. The combination of ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg marries deliciously with the molasses and brown sugar. I like to bake my gingerbread cookies just enough so they are hard on the outside, but soft and fluffy on the inside.
Make these for family and friends, and have a wonderful holiday season.
Gluten Free Christmas Gingerbread Cookies – makes 26-28 (4 inch-wide cookies)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 small orange, zested (optional)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ½ cup gluten free cup for cup baking flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Brown rice flour for dusting and rolling
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box confectioners sugar (1 lb)
- Cream together the butter and dark brown sugar on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Add in the orange zest and molasses, and mix for another 30-45 seconds.
- Add the water and eggs one by one, and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, combine the gluten free flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Little by little, add it to the wet ingredients, and mix on medium speed.
- Once the flour is incorporated, split the dough in half and flatten into round disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees and line the cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- I like to roll out my dough between two pieces of parchment for easy clean up. Sprinkle the dough and parchment paper with brown rice flour. Roll out the dough to be 5 cm thick. Dip the cookie cutter in brown rice flour and cut out gingerbread shapes. If the shapes are sticking, lightly coat a spatula with brown rice flour and use to lift up the cut outs. Fold the dough back together and repeat until all of it is used.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before moving cookies to a cooling rack.
- For the icing, on high-speed mix together the egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy. On medium to high speed, gradually add in the confectioners sugar until well combined. Fill pastry bag(s) with icing. Decorate as desired.