Apple pie is a must on Thanksgiving, but why not switch it up by introducing another fruit and some extra spice to the mix. Apples and pears become best friends in this apple, pear and ginger pie.
During the holidays, cinnamon gets all the attention. Ground ginger is an easy replacement for recipes that call for cinnamon or all-spice. Depending on your love of ginger – add a little or add a lot.
Apple, Pear and Ginger Pie
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 2 pears
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (or AP flour)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 egg + milk for egg wash
- Single pie crust (if you want to decorate the top as shown in the picture, then make a double pie crust – two disks)
- Make your pie crust and form into a disk(s). Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before using.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cut apples and pears about ½ inch thick.
- In a bowl, toss the apple and pear pieces with lemon juice and granulated sugar.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Once it’s melted, add the apples and pears. Cook until tender (8-10 minutes depending on size). They should be tender, not mushy.
- Roll out the pie dough and place in a 9-inch pie pan. Trim any extra dough around the rim, and crimp edges with your fingers. You can also use a fork to make a fun design.
- Once the apples are tender, reduce to low heat and stir in brown rice flour and ground ginger. Taste the filing and adjust seasoning of ginger to your liking.
- Remove the filing from the heat and scoop into the pie dish. Spread evenly with the back of the spoon or spatula.
- If you would like to decorate with fun shapes, use the remaining pie dough to cut out shapes of leaves, hearts, etc. to place on top of your pie.
- Once you’ve added your decoration, make your egg wash (egg with a little milk – or non-dairy milk) and brush along edges and top of dough decoration.
- Lower the oven to 350 degrees. Place the pie on a baking sheet and put it on the lower rack in the oven. Cook for about 60-70 minutes. If the edges or design starts to brown too quickly, cover with foil.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.