Watermelon, Fennel & Arugula Salad with Lemon, Mustard Vinaigrette – serves 2
- Arugula – about 1 handful per person/per portion (2 handfuls)
- 1 medium-sized fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 2 cups watermelon (small to medium size squares)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard (any type works: honey, spicy, etc.)
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your watermelon into small-medium sized squares.
- Wash your arugula and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preparing the fennel: cut the top off the bulb (green part) and remove a thin slice of the root on the bottom. With a peeler, shave off any bruised or slightly dark areas. Cut the fennel the long way and remove the core. Either cut the fennel into small strips or use a mandolin to slice it thinly.
- Preparing the dressing: in a small bowl whisk together your mustard and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in your olive oil in a slow stream. Season with salt & pepper.
- In a large bowl combine your arugula, watermelon and fennel. Toss with your vinaigrette.
- Transfer to your serving bowl/dish and top with pistachios.
Check out my other refreshing salad: Watermelon, Fennel & Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese & Balsamic Vinaigrette