So it’s February 24 – are you still on that health kick you made yourself promise you would stick to at the beginning of the year? If not, no worries my friend, I am here to help. If anyone knows me they know that I’m all about the healthy lifestyle. Even say the word diet around me, and I freak out. It’s all about balance my friends, and portion control, so enjoy your life!
However, if you want to cut back and make a few healthier choices, here are five healthy food substitutions for your everyday favorite foods.
- Love Spaghetti/Pasta? Go with Spaghetti Squash: Anything you would usually add on your regular pasta whether it be red sauce, vegetables, etc, you can put on spaghetti squash. The other day I sauteed up some spinach and mushrooms, and mixed in a little Gorgonzola cheese – ummm delicious!
- Love Mayonnaise? Go with Avocado: If you are the type of person that likes to use mayo on their sandwiches or in their chicken/tuna salad mixture, make the swap for avocado. Too many times people are scared because they see how much fat is in an avocado, well guess what, it’s all good fat – fat that you need to help you get through your workout.
- Love Rice? Go with Quinoa: Don’t let these little pieces fool you, they are packed with tons of protein.
- Love Potatoes? Go with Sweet Potatoes: Packed with more fiber than regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are a great choice for a side. For a kick, sprinkle on a little cinnamon and broil in the oven.
- Love Bacon? Go with Turkey Bacon: Don’t go taking my bacon away from me. I look forward to my bacon and eggs almost every Sunday morning. However, for a healthier choice I go with the a less fatten, more lean, lower-sodium choice, turkey bacon.
What are you favorite food substitutions? Do you have any favorite recipes that use the above ingredients?